The Heritage Centre occupies three floors of the Old Barracks of Cahersiveen and is well worth visiting. 

On the ground floor is the reception and the history of the Old Barracks; of how it was built to protect the British end of the trans-Atlantic telegraph cable, of how the building was destroyed by fire in the civil war and then re-built by some people at the end of the 20th century.

There is a section on the Royal Irish Constabulary for whom the Old Barracks was built and also telling the story of the ill fated Fenian Uprising  of 1867, the reason the Old Barracks was built in the first place.






Back to Heritage Centre

Up to first floor
Right up to second floor